Launched in 2011, the Esplar* trainers have been named after the Brazilian NGO which brings technical support to the organic cotton farming families Veja works with in North Brazil since 2004.
- Upper in leather
- Panels made out of leather
- Logo V made of rubber
- Lining in 100% organic cotton
- Insole made out of wild rubber and other synthetic materials
- Sole made of wild rubber from the Amazonian forest (20%)
- Style # EO021681
- Made in Brazil in the region of Porto Alegre
Veja's leather is tanned respecting the REACH norms. The amount of chromium (non-harmful to humans and the environment) used for the tanning is below authorized limits. The leather is traced to ensure that it does not come from an area having been deforested for intensive livestock production. Attention is paid to the use of water during the tanning process.
The lining is made from 100 % organic and fairtrade cotton. It is produced according to agro-ecological methods, without pesticides or chemical fertilizers. This method combines compatible species to make the land richer than it was before cultivating it.
Each Veja outer sole is made of rubber from the Amazon rainforest. Rubber tappers are paid fair prices, and the use of wild rubber from Amazonia increases the economic value of the forest and helps in the fight against deforestation.
Note, sizes in brackets denote manufacturers' size.
* Escritório de Planejamento e Assessoria Rural (The Rural Planning and Development Association)